State Energy Offices
Home Energy magazine – Serving professionals and laypersons in residential energy management for nearly 30 years.
Recycling old products after you upgrade.
ENERGY STAR for Home Improvement
The Energy & Environmental Building Alliance (EEBA) – Houses That Work program, SmartTools Bookstore (including Builder’s Guides on building science for specific climate zones).
National Center for Healthy Housing – Educational programs, tools, and resources to help the public create and maintain a healthy home.
Rocky Mountain Institute Residential Building Library (Scroll down to “Home Energy Briefs”)
U.S. Department of Energy/Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy:
- Building America – Publications, webinars, software, links; look for Technology Fact Sheets and Building America Best Practices Series.
- Vol. 14: Energy Renovations: HVAC: A Guide for Contractors to Share with Homeowners (2011)
- BSC Information Sheet 001: Residential Best Practices Criteria for All Climates
- Building Technologies Program
- ACEEE Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings
- The Consumer’s Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists. Michael Brower and Warren Leon, Three Rivers Press, 1999
- Discussion Guide on Global Warming: Changing CO2urse. Meg O’Brien, ed., Northwest Earth Institute, 2007
- The Greened House Effect. Jeff Wilson, Chelsea Green, 2013
- Green Remodeling: Changing the World One Room at a Time. David Johnston and Kim Master, New Society Publishers, 2004
- Green Restorations: Sustainable Building and Historic Homes. Aaron Lubeck, New Society Publishers, 2010
- Natural Remodeling for the Not-So-Green House: Bringing Your Home into Harmony with Nature. Carol Venolia and Kelly Lerner, Lark Books, 2006
- No-Regrets Remodeling, 2nd Edition Home Energy Magazine, Chelsea Green, 2013